The Ponds is a suburb of Sydney in the state of New South Wales, Australia. The Ponds is located approximately 40 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district in the Blacktown local government area and part of the Hills District. At the 2011 census, The Ponds had an estimated resident population of 2,932. The Ponds is surrounded by Schofields, Rouse Hill, Kellyville Ridge, Quakers Hill, Parklea and Stanhope Gardens suburb.
“The Ponds” was a name designed to reflect the geography of the area and was derived from the nearby creek called “Second Ponds Creek”, and the growing population. The Ponds was officially designated as a separate suburb in January 2007. The Ponds had previously been part of the suburbs of Kellyville and Kellyville Ridge. According to data from the 2011 census, the Australian Bureau of Statistics ranked The Ponds as the most advantaged suburb of Sydney by the use of twenty-five variables, including income, internet access, number of bedrooms and resident qualifications. With more than 71 per cent of the population aged over 15 years, census data shows that The Ponds has the highest percentage of married people per suburb in Australia.
Lachlan Macquarie served as the fifth and last autocratic Governor of New South Wales from 1810 to 1821. During that period, he named The District of Appin after his wife’s birthplace Appin, a remote coastal district of the Scottish West Highlands. The historic Appin massacre took place on 17th April 1816 under the command of Governor Macquarie. The British colonists killed 14 Tharawal men in that massacre. Appin was for decades a major wheat-growing and dairy-farming area. Two major collieries Appin and West Cliff opened in 1962 and 1976 respectively. The town plan was completed in 1834. The post office of Appin established in 1841. In 1888, Appin got the telephone line connection. First electricity came to Appin in 1945. Appin has several early sandstone buildings. Most of them built between the year of 1826 and 1955. Among them Appin’s commercial centre, the derelict Appin Inn (1826), the Headmaster’s residence at the primary school, and St. Bede’s Roman Catholic Church are well-known. Other buildings of heritage value include the disused motor garage at Darcy’s Corner (1955), the Appin Hotel (1840), and St Mark The Evangelist Church (1843).